Home security is often an afterthought until it is too late, but this is an important issue for all homeowners. Whether you live in a small apartment or a large house, it's essential to make sure your home is safe from intruders. In this article, we'll discuss the different types of locks available and how you can use them to make sure your home stays safe and secure.
- Lock doors and windows. It seems simple, but plenty of burglars simply walk in the front door. - don't make it easy for the bad guys, check them every time the house is left empty and make keeping them locked the “default” setting for door and window locks.
- Install Secondary Locks. When you move into a new place or are looking to upgrade your security, check all of your locks to see if they are functional and tightly installed. In a lot of cases, you don't know what kind of lock you have or how strong they are, consider upgrading your locks and including something that only you can lock from the inside. - We highly recommend a FlipLok.
- If the house has an alarm, set it. Many homeowners find setting the alarm all the time a chore. If you got it, set it.
- Monitoring system: Alarms can be expensive, but companies like Ring are making home monitoring easier and cheaper, simply having a doorbell camera will deter potential burglars.
- Get to know the neighbors. One of the best forms of home security is having more protective eyes watching a property; especially when the owners are at work or on vacation.
- Keep entrances well lit. Install and use lighting around entrances. Solar, motion activated or timed lighting can provide added security in the absence of an owner.
- Maintain doors and windows. Older and deteriorating doors and windows are easier targets for burglars. Keep them maintained, repaired and replace as necessary.
- Don't advertise your absence. Avoid announcing your absence publicly on social media. Have mail and newspaper delivery stopped when away for several days or more. Keep lawns mowed.